Coffee Bean & Peppercorn Steak
Here's a recipe that packs a wallop. The bold combination of coffee beans and peppercorns works well on other rich meats, such as venison.
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon strong freshly brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon whole coffee beans, (not flavored beans)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, about 1-inch thick, trimmed of fat
- Preheat grill to high.
- Smash and peel garlic clove, sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with a spoon or the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in coffee and vinegar. Season with pepper.
- Place coffee beans and peppercorns on a cutting board; coarsely crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Mix the crushed coffee beans and peppercorns together. Rub steaks with oil, sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and coat with the coffee-peppercorn mixture, pressing it into the meat. Grill 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain. Serve with the vinaigrette.
Per serving: 190 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 0 g fiber; 195 mg sodium; 347 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (39% daily value), Zinc (33% dv).
Exchanges: 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Valentine's Day