Coffee Bean & Peppercorn Steak
Here's a recipe that packs a wallop. The bold combination of coffee beans and peppercorns works well on other rich meats, such as venison.
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon strong freshly brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon whole coffee beans, (not flavored beans)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, about 1-inch thick, trimmed of fat
- Preheat grill to high.
- Smash and peel garlic clove, sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with a spoon or the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in coffee and vinegar. Season with pepper.
- Place coffee beans and peppercorns on a cutting board; coarsely crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Mix the crushed coffee beans and peppercorns together. Rub steaks with oil, sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and coat with the coffee-peppercorn mixture, pressing it into the meat. Grill 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain. Serve with the vinaigrette.
Per serving: 190 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 0 g fiber; 195 mg sodium; 347 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (39% daily value), Zinc (33% dv).
Exchanges: 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient