Coeurs a la Creme
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
If you like cheesecake, try this traditional French dessert molded into heart shapes.
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- Strawberry Sauce, and/or Mango Sauce (recipes follow)
- Julienned lemon zest and mint sprigs, for garnish
- Cut a double thickness of cheesecloth into eight 5-by-8-inch pieces. Line 8 individual coeur à la crème molds (see Note) with cheesecloth, leaving a generous amount of overhang. Line a baking sheet with sides with several layers of paper towels. Place a large wire rack on baking sheet and set prepared molds on rack. (Alternatively, cut the sides of eight 12-ounce paper cups to make shorter cups 2 to 3 inches high. With a toothpick, punch about 10 holes slightly with the toothpick. Line cups with cheesecloth and place on rack.)
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla in a food processor and process until very smooth, scraping down sides occasionally. Add yogurt and process to blend.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared molds. Cover with plastic wrap; drain in the refrigerator overnight.
- To serve, invert coeurs à la crème onto dessert plates and carefully remove cheesecloth. Surround with sauce and garnish with lemon zest and mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3 up to 2 days in advance. | Equipment: 8 coeur Ã la crÃ¨me molds or 12-ounce paper cups
- Coeur a la Creme molds can be mail-ordered from www.cookswares.com.
Per serving: 144 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 118 mg sodium; 115 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat, 1/2 reduced-fat milk
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1999