Coeurs a la Creme
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
If you like cheesecake, try this traditional French dessert molded into heart shapes.
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- Strawberry Sauce, and/or Mango Sauce (recipes follow)
- Julienned lemon zest and mint sprigs, for garnish
- Cut a double thickness of cheesecloth into eight 5-by-8-inch pieces. Line 8 individual coeur à la crème molds (see Note) with cheesecloth, leaving a generous amount of overhang. Line a baking sheet with sides with several layers of paper towels. Place a large wire rack on baking sheet and set prepared molds on rack. (Alternatively, cut the sides of eight 12-ounce paper cups to make shorter cups 2 to 3 inches high. With a toothpick, punch about 10 holes slightly with the toothpick. Line cups with cheesecloth and place on rack.)
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla in a food processor and process until very smooth, scraping down sides occasionally. Add yogurt and process to blend.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared molds. Cover with plastic wrap; drain in the refrigerator overnight.
- To serve, invert coeurs à la crème onto dessert plates and carefully remove cheesecloth. Surround with sauce and garnish with lemon zest and mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3 up to 2 days in advance. | Equipment: 8 coeur Ã la crÃ¨me molds or 12-ounce paper cups
- Coeur a la Creme molds can be mail-ordered from www.cookswares.com.
Per serving: 144 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 118 mg sodium; 115 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat, 1/2 reduced-fat milk
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1999