Coeurs a la Creme
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
If you like cheesecake, try this traditional French dessert molded into heart shapes.
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- Strawberry Sauce, and/or Mango Sauce (recipes follow)
- Julienned lemon zest and mint sprigs, for garnish
- Cut a double thickness of cheesecloth into eight 5-by-8-inch pieces. Line 8 individual coeur à la crème molds (see Note) with cheesecloth, leaving a generous amount of overhang. Line a baking sheet with sides with several layers of paper towels. Place a large wire rack on baking sheet and set prepared molds on rack. (Alternatively, cut the sides of eight 12-ounce paper cups to make shorter cups 2 to 3 inches high. With a toothpick, punch about 10 holes slightly with the toothpick. Line cups with cheesecloth and place on rack.)
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla in a food processor and process until very smooth, scraping down sides occasionally. Add yogurt and process to blend.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared molds. Cover with plastic wrap; drain in the refrigerator overnight.
- To serve, invert coeurs à la crème onto dessert plates and carefully remove cheesecloth. Surround with sauce and garnish with lemon zest and mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3 up to 2 days in advance. | Equipment: 8 coeur Ã la crÃ¨me molds or 12-ounce paper cups
- Coeur a la Creme molds can be mail-ordered from www.cookswares.com.
Per serving: 144 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 118 mg sodium; 115 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat, 1/2 reduced-fat milk
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1999