Coeurs a la Creme
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
If you like cheesecake, try this traditional French dessert molded into heart shapes.
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- Strawberry Sauce, and/or Mango Sauce (recipes follow)
- Julienned lemon zest and mint sprigs, for garnish
- Cut a double thickness of cheesecloth into eight 5-by-8-inch pieces. Line 8 individual coeur à la crème molds (see Note) with cheesecloth, leaving a generous amount of overhang. Line a baking sheet with sides with several layers of paper towels. Place a large wire rack on baking sheet and set prepared molds on rack. (Alternatively, cut the sides of eight 12-ounce paper cups to make shorter cups 2 to 3 inches high. With a toothpick, punch about 10 holes slightly with the toothpick. Line cups with cheesecloth and place on rack.)
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla in a food processor and process until very smooth, scraping down sides occasionally. Add yogurt and process to blend.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared molds. Cover with plastic wrap; drain in the refrigerator overnight.
- To serve, invert coeurs à la crème onto dessert plates and carefully remove cheesecloth. Surround with sauce and garnish with lemon zest and mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3 up to 2 days in advance. | Equipment: 8 coeur Ã la crÃ¨me molds or 12-ounce paper cups
- Coeur a la Creme molds can be mail-ordered from www.cookswares.com.
Per serving: 144 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 118 mg sodium; 115 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat, 1/2 reduced-fat milk
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1999