Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
This silky tomato sauce with a touch of cream makes mild-flavored cod sing. Serve with: Farro or rice and a salad of mixed greens.
- 1-1 1/4 pounds cod (see Tip) or tilapia fillets, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Season fish with 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic and 1 teaspoon thyme; cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes and the fish to the pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the fish is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the fish to a large plate; keep warm.
- Whisk cream and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan, along with the remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Divide the fish and sauce among 4 shallow bowls.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 227 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 1 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 660 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 2010