Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
This silky tomato sauce with a touch of cream makes mild-flavored cod sing. Serve with: Farro or rice and a salad of mixed greens.
- 8-10 ounces cod (see Tip) or tilapia fillets, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons white wine
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- Season fish with 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon thyme; cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes and the fish to the pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the fish is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the fish to a plate; keep warm.
- Whisk cream and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan, along with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Divide the fish and sauce among 2 shallow bowls.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 229 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 1 g fiber; 533 mg sodium; 687 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 2010