Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
This silky tomato sauce with a touch of cream makes mild-flavored cod sing. Serve with: Farro or rice and a salad of mixed greens.
- 8-10 ounces cod (see Tip) or tilapia fillets, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons white wine
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- Season fish with 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon thyme; cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes and the fish to the pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the fish is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the fish to a plate; keep warm.
- Whisk cream and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan, along with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Divide the fish and sauce among 2 shallow bowls.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 229 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 1 g fiber; 533 mg sodium; 687 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2010