Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
This silky tomato sauce with a touch of cream makes mild-flavored cod sing. Serve with: Farro or rice and a salad of mixed greens.
- 8-10 ounces cod (see Tip) or tilapia fillets, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons white wine
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- Season fish with 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon thyme; cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes and the fish to the pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the fish is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the fish to a plate; keep warm.
- Whisk cream and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan, along with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Divide the fish and sauce among 2 shallow bowls.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 229 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 1 g fiber; 533 mg sodium; 687 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2010