Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce for Two
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
This silky tomato sauce with a touch of cream makes mild-flavored cod sing. Serve with: Farro or rice and a salad of mixed greens.
- 8-10 ounces cod (see Tip) or tilapia fillets, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons white wine
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- Season fish with 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon thyme; cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes and the fish to the pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the fish is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the fish to a plate; keep warm.
- Whisk cream and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan, along with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Divide the fish and sauce among 2 shallow bowls.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the U.S. and Canadian Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its sea floor. For sustainably fished cod, choose U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch at seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 229 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 1 g fiber; 533 mg sodium; 687 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 2010