Coctel de Camarones
From EatingWell: May/June 2011
This classic Mexican shrimp cocktail is usually served as a starter, but makes a quick, refreshing main dish on a busy night. Add some of your favorite hot sauce for extra kick. You can eat it immediately or chill it for up to 4 hours if you prefer it colder. Serve with: Warm corn tortillas or cheese quesadillas and your favorite hot sauce.
- 1 pound cooked small shrimp (70-90 per pound; see Tip), tails removed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 cups diced English cucumber
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 1/2 cups spicy or regular V8 juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges for serving
- Combine shrimp, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, avocado, V8 juice, lime juice, pepper, salt and cilantro in a large bowl. Serve at room temperature or chilled, with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Tip: Shrimp is usually sold by the number needed to make one pound. For example, “21-25 count” means there will be 21 to 25 shrimp in a pound. Size names, such as “large” or “extra large,” are not standardized, so to get the size you want, order by the count per pound. Both wild-caught and farm-raised shrimp can damage the surrounding ecosystems when not managed properly. Fortunately, it is possible to buy shrimp that have been raised or caught with sound environmental practices. Look for fresh or frozen shrimp certified by an independent agency, such as the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find certified shrimp, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 260 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 230 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 5 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 1025 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Potassium (29% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv), Iron (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2011