From EatingWell: May/June 1992
The secret to keeping granola nutritious, yet tasty, is in the balance of ingredients. We go heavy on the whole grains and add just the right amount of nuts and dried fruit.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat flakes, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- Dissolve sugar in boiling water in a medium bowl. Stir in dry milk and corn syrup and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine oats, wheat flakes, wheat germ, almonds, coconut and salt in a large bowl. Add oil and the reserved milk mixture and mix thoroughly. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake the granola, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes. Stir in raisins, prunes and apricots. Bake for 5 minutes more. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; refrigerate overnight. Store the granola in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Shopping Tip: Wheat flakes are simply wheat kernels that have been steamed and rolled, oatmeal-style. Look for them in natural-foods stores.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 246 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 179 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1992