From EatingWell: May/June 1992
The secret to keeping granola nutritious, yet tasty, is in the balance of ingredients. We go heavy on the whole grains and add just the right amount of nuts and dried fruit.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat flakes, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- Dissolve sugar in boiling water in a medium bowl. Stir in dry milk and corn syrup and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine oats, wheat flakes, wheat germ, almonds, coconut and salt in a large bowl. Add oil and the reserved milk mixture and mix thoroughly. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake the granola, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes. Stir in raisins, prunes and apricots. Bake for 5 minutes more. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; refrigerate overnight. Store the granola in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Shopping Tip: Wheat flakes are simply wheat kernels that have been steamed and rolled, oatmeal-style. Look for them in natural-foods stores.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 246 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 179 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992