From EatingWell: May/June 1992
The secret to keeping granola nutritious, yet tasty, is in the balance of ingredients. We go heavy on the whole grains and add just the right amount of nuts and dried fruit.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat flakes, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- Dissolve sugar in boiling water in a medium bowl. Stir in dry milk and corn syrup and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine oats, wheat flakes, wheat germ, almonds, coconut and salt in a large bowl. Add oil and the reserved milk mixture and mix thoroughly. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake the granola, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes. Stir in raisins, prunes and apricots. Bake for 5 minutes more. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; refrigerate overnight. Store the granola in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Shopping Tip: Wheat flakes are simply wheat kernels that have been steamed and rolled, oatmeal-style. Look for them in natural-foods stores.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 246 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 179 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992