Homemade fudge isn't hard to make—and this version uses low-fat milk for a healthier indulgence.
- 3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with a sheet of aluminum foil. Coat with cooking spray.
- Whisk sugar, cocoa and salt in a large (3 1/2-quart) heavy saucepan. Slowly stir in milk. Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. Once the mixture comes to a boil, stop stirring. Boil, without stirring, until the fudge reaches the soft-ball stage (when a small amount dropped into ice water forms a very soft ball) or 234°F on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add butter, oil and vanilla but do not stir. Let cool to lukewarm, about 45 minutes.
- Stir the fudge vigorously with a wooden spoon until it begins to thicken and just loses its gloss, 1 to 2 minutes. Quickly pour into the foil-lined pan and spread evenly; let cool. Invert onto a cutting board, remove the foil and cut the fudge into 36 squares.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Stored wrapped in plastic at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 84 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 22 mg sodium; 1 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)