From EatingWell: July/August 1997
This simplified Cobb salad is light and quick—perfect for a hurried summer night.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 slices bacon
- 12 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce
- 2/3 cup Blue Cheese Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Place chicken in a skillet or saucepan and add salted water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken and poaching liquid to a shallow dish. Cover and refrigerate, letting chicken cool in the liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and coarsely crumble.
- Cut cooled chicken into 1/2-inch dice.
- Toss lettuce in a large bowl with 1/3 cup dressing. Divide among 4 plates. Arrange chicken, bacon and tomatoes over lettuce and drizzle with remaining 1/3 cup dressing. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 204 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 5 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 861 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (212% daily value), Vitamin C (88% dv), Folate (62% dv), Selenium (34% dv), Potassium (25% dv) and Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1997