From EatingWell: July/August 1997
This simplified Cobb salad is light and quick—perfect for a hurried summer night.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 slices bacon
- 12 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce
- 2/3 cup Blue Cheese Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Place chicken in a skillet or saucepan and add salted water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken and poaching liquid to a shallow dish. Cover and refrigerate, letting chicken cool in the liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and coarsely crumble.
- Cut cooled chicken into 1/2-inch dice.
- Toss lettuce in a large bowl with 1/3 cup dressing. Divide among 4 plates. Arrange chicken, bacon and tomatoes over lettuce and drizzle with remaining 1/3 cup dressing. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 204 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 5 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 861 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (212% daily value), Vitamin C (88% dv), Folate (62% dv), Selenium (34% dv), Potassium (25% dv) and Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1997