From EatingWell: July/August 1997
This simplified Cobb salad is light and quick—perfect for a hurried summer night.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 slices bacon
- 12 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce
- 2/3 cup Blue Cheese Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Place chicken in a skillet or saucepan and add salted water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken and poaching liquid to a shallow dish. Cover and refrigerate, letting chicken cool in the liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and coarsely crumble.
- Cut cooled chicken into 1/2-inch dice.
- Toss lettuce in a large bowl with 1/3 cup dressing. Divide among 4 plates. Arrange chicken, bacon and tomatoes over lettuce and drizzle with remaining 1/3 cup dressing. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 204 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 5 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 861 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (212% daily value), Vitamin C (88% dv), Folate (62% dv), Selenium (34% dv), Potassium (25% dv) and Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1997