From EatingWell: July/August 1997
This simplified Cobb salad is light and quick—perfect for a hurried summer night.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 slices bacon
- 12 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce
- 2/3 cup Blue Cheese Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Place chicken in a skillet or saucepan and add salted water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken and poaching liquid to a shallow dish. Cover and refrigerate, letting chicken cool in the liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and coarsely crumble.
- Cut cooled chicken into 1/2-inch dice.
- Toss lettuce in a large bowl with 1/3 cup dressing. Divide among 4 plates. Arrange chicken, bacon and tomatoes over lettuce and drizzle with remaining 1/3 cup dressing. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 204 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 5 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 861 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (212% daily value), Vitamin C (88% dv), Folate (62% dv), Selenium (34% dv), Potassium (25% dv) and Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1997