Classic Malted Waffles
From EatingWell: March 1998
To add great malt flavor to these waffles, use malt-flavored Ovaltine or Carnation Malted Milk. Serve with Mixed Berry Sauce, warm maple syrup or Strawberries & Cream.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk flour, malted-milk powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk egg yolk, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Beat egg whites in a clean bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until glossy but not dry. Whisk one-quarter of the beaten whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in batter and cook until waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with cooking spray each time, if necessary. Dust waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Per serving: 256 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 484 mg sodium; 288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Selenium (24% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- March 1998