Classic Malted Waffles
From EatingWell: March 1998
To add great malt flavor to these waffles, use malt-flavored Ovaltine or Carnation Malted Milk. Serve with Mixed Berry Sauce, warm maple syrup or Strawberries & Cream.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk flour, malted-milk powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk egg yolk, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Beat egg whites in a clean bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until glossy but not dry. Whisk one-quarter of the beaten whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in batter and cook until waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with cooking spray each time, if necessary. Dust waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Per serving: 256 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 484 mg sodium; 288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Selenium (24% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- March 1998