Classic Malted Waffles
From EatingWell: March 1998
To add great malt flavor to these waffles, use malt-flavored Ovaltine or Carnation Malted Milk. Serve with Mixed Berry Sauce, warm maple syrup or Strawberries & Cream.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk flour, malted-milk powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk egg yolk, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Beat egg whites in a clean bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until glossy but not dry. Whisk one-quarter of the beaten whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in batter and cook until waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with cooking spray each time, if necessary. Dust waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Per serving: 256 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 484 mg sodium; 288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Selenium (24% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998