Classic Lemon Tart
When life hands you lemons, make this bright, light lemon tart.
- Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry, (recipe follows)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites, or 2 tablespoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Prepare Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry; refrigerate as directed.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Coat a 10- or 11-inch removable-bottom tart pan with cooking spray.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Drape the dough over the rolling pin and transfer it to the prepared pan. Press to fit. Run the rolling pin over the top of the tart pan to trim the edges. Cover the crust with foil or parchment paper and weight with pie weights, dry beans or dry rice. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake the crust until the surface is set but not at all browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the foil and pie weights.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in lemon zest and lemon juice. Pour the filling into the partially baked crust.
- Bake the tart on the baking sheet in the upper third of the oven until the crust is golden and the filling is set, about 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 10- or 11-inch removable-bottom tart pan
Per serving: 294 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 45 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C(15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique