Classic Lemon Tart
When life hands you lemons, make this bright, light lemon tart.
- Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry, (recipe follows)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites, or 2 tablespoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Prepare Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry; refrigerate as directed.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Coat a 10- or 11-inch removable-bottom tart pan with cooking spray.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Drape the dough over the rolling pin and transfer it to the prepared pan. Press to fit. Run the rolling pin over the top of the tart pan to trim the edges. Cover the crust with foil or parchment paper and weight with pie weights, dry beans or dry rice. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake the crust until the surface is set but not at all browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the foil and pie weights.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in lemon zest and lemon juice. Pour the filling into the partially baked crust.
- Bake the tart on the baking sheet in the upper third of the oven until the crust is golden and the filling is set, about 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 10- or 11-inch removable-bottom tart pan
Per serving: 294 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 45 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C(15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique