Classic Lemon Tart
When life hands you lemons, make this bright, light lemon tart.
- Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry, (recipe follows)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites, or 2 tablespoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Prepare Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry; refrigerate as directed.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Coat a 10- or 11-inch removable-bottom tart pan with cooking spray.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Drape the dough over the rolling pin and transfer it to the prepared pan. Press to fit. Run the rolling pin over the top of the tart pan to trim the edges. Cover the crust with foil or parchment paper and weight with pie weights, dry beans or dry rice. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake the crust until the surface is set but not at all browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the foil and pie weights.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in lemon zest and lemon juice. Pour the filling into the partially baked crust.
- Bake the tart on the baking sheet in the upper third of the oven until the crust is golden and the filling is set, about 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 10- or 11-inch removable-bottom tart pan
Per serving: 294 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 45 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C(15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique