Classic Lemon Tart
When life hands you lemons, make this bright, light lemon tart.
- Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry, (recipe follows)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites, or 2 tablespoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Prepare Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry; refrigerate as directed.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Coat a 10- or 11-inch removable-bottom tart pan with cooking spray.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Drape the dough over the rolling pin and transfer it to the prepared pan. Press to fit. Run the rolling pin over the top of the tart pan to trim the edges. Cover the crust with foil or parchment paper and weight with pie weights, dry beans or dry rice. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake the crust until the surface is set but not at all browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the foil and pie weights.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in lemon zest and lemon juice. Pour the filling into the partially baked crust.
- Bake the tart on the baking sheet in the upper third of the oven until the crust is golden and the filling is set, about 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 10- or 11-inch removable-bottom tart pan
Per serving: 294 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 45 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C(15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique