Classic Lemon Tart
When life hands you lemons, make this bright, light lemon tart.
- Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry, (recipe follows)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites, or 2 tablespoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Prepare Essential EatingWell Pie Pastry; refrigerate as directed.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Coat a 10- or 11-inch removable-bottom tart pan with cooking spray.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Drape the dough over the rolling pin and transfer it to the prepared pan. Press to fit. Run the rolling pin over the top of the tart pan to trim the edges. Cover the crust with foil or parchment paper and weight with pie weights, dry beans or dry rice. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake the crust until the surface is set but not at all browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the foil and pie weights.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in lemon zest and lemon juice. Pour the filling into the partially baked crust.
- Bake the tart on the baking sheet in the upper third of the oven until the crust is golden and the filling is set, about 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 10- or 11-inch removable-bottom tart pan
Per serving: 294 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 45 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C(15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)