From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
It’s easy to make hummus at home with just a few pantry items. Serve drizzled with your best-quality extra-virgin olive oil and chopped parsley. Mop it up with warm whole-wheat pita bread or cut-up vegetables.
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- With the motor running, drop garlic through the feed tube of a food processor fitted with a steel blade attachment; process until finely minced. Scrape down the sides of the workbowl and add chickpeas, lemon juice, oil, tahini and salt. Process until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Note: Tahini is a thick paste of ground sesame seeds. Look for it at large supermarkets in the Middle Eastern section or near other nut butters.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 144 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 298 mg sodium; 113 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- The Simple Art of EatingWell