From EatingWell: June/July 2006
Lean Canadian bacon, Parmesan cheese and an aromatic blend of chopped vegetables and herbs give our baked, stuffed clams so much flavor and crunch that you won't even miss the 6 tablespoons of butter that typically goes into this classic appetizer. They make a fabulous starter for a dinner party or a light summer entree with a fresh salad.
- 18 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1 small green bell pepper, minced
- 2 ounces Canadian bacon, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place clams, bay leaves and water in a large pot; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook the clams until they open, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in a colander. (Discard any clams that do not open.) Discard the bay leaves.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add Canadian bacon; cook, stirring frequently, until heated and fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in vinegar; transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Stir in breadcrumbs, Parmesan, chives, oregano, paprika and pepper.
- Remove clam meat from shells (reserving the shells), chop and stir into the breadcrumb mixture. Pull clamshells apart and spoon the breadcrumb mixture into the half shells, packing lightly and mounding slightly (you may have a few shells left over).
- Place the stuffed clamshells on a large baking sheet. Bake until well browned, about 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the stuffed clams through Step 4; wrap and freeze for up to 1 month. Remove from the freezer and bake at 450Â°F until well browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh crumbs.
- Ingredient note: Smoked paprika is available in three varieties: sweet, bittersweet and hot. Sweet is the most versatile, but choose hot if you like a bit of heat. It can be purchased in gourmet markets and online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 176 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 1 g fiber; 370 mg sodium; 342 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (60% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Selenium (34% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/ 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- June/July 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)