Claire's Mixed Green Salad with Feta Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
This salad was inspired by one served during the peak of summer at Claire's Restaurant & Bar in Hardwick. Chef Steven Obranovich of Claire's likes the soft crumbly sheep's-milk feta for this recipe. He cautions that the subtle briny notes of feta can sometimes be overpowered by too much lemon or an olive oil that's too fruity. Saltiness varies from feta to feta too. Add the ingredients a little at a time and taste as you go.
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil, or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, preferably mild-flavored
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 8 cups lightly packed mixed salad greens, or arugula, any tough stems removed
- 2 cups sliced cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- To prepare vinaigrette: Place sunflower (or canola) oil, olive oil, feta, cider vinegar, red-wine vinegar, lemon juice, pepper and salt in a blender and puree until combined. Adjust seasoning with additional lemon juice, salt or pepper, if desired.
- To prepare salad: Toss greens (or arugula) in a large bowl with half the vinaigrette. Mound on a large platter. Arrange cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes and onion on top of the greens. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the salad.
Per serving: 165 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 189 mg sodium; 420 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009