Claire's Mixed Green Salad with Feta Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
This salad was inspired by one served during the peak of summer at Claire's Restaurant & Bar in Hardwick. Chef Steven Obranovich of Claire's likes the soft crumbly sheep's-milk feta for this recipe. He cautions that the subtle briny notes of feta can sometimes be overpowered by too much lemon or an olive oil that's too fruity. Saltiness varies from feta to feta too. Add the ingredients a little at a time and taste as you go.
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil, or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, preferably mild-flavored
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 8 cups lightly packed mixed salad greens, or arugula, any tough stems removed
- 2 cups sliced cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- To prepare vinaigrette: Place sunflower (or canola) oil, olive oil, feta, cider vinegar, red-wine vinegar, lemon juice, pepper and salt in a blender and puree until combined. Adjust seasoning with additional lemon juice, salt or pepper, if desired.
- To prepare salad: Toss greens (or arugula) in a large bowl with half the vinaigrette. Mound on a large platter. Arrange cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes and onion on top of the greens. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the salad.
Per serving: 165 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 189 mg sodium; 420 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009