Claire's Mixed Green Salad with Feta Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
This salad was inspired by one served during the peak of summer at Claire's Restaurant & Bar in Hardwick. Chef Steven Obranovich of Claire's likes the soft crumbly sheep's-milk feta for this recipe. He cautions that the subtle briny notes of feta can sometimes be overpowered by too much lemon or an olive oil that's too fruity. Saltiness varies from feta to feta too. Add the ingredients a little at a time and taste as you go.
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil, or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, preferably mild-flavored
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 8 cups lightly packed mixed salad greens, or arugula, any tough stems removed
- 2 cups sliced cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- To prepare vinaigrette: Place sunflower (or canola) oil, olive oil, feta, cider vinegar, red-wine vinegar, lemon juice, pepper and salt in a blender and puree until combined. Adjust seasoning with additional lemon juice, salt or pepper, if desired.
- To prepare salad: Toss greens (or arugula) in a large bowl with half the vinaigrette. Mound on a large platter. Arrange cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes and onion on top of the greens. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the salad.
Per serving: 165 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 189 mg sodium; 420 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009