Claire's Mixed Green Salad with Feta Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
This salad was inspired by one served during the peak of summer at Claire's Restaurant & Bar in Hardwick. Chef Steven Obranovich of Claire's likes the soft crumbly sheep's-milk feta for this recipe. He cautions that the subtle briny notes of feta can sometimes be overpowered by too much lemon or an olive oil that's too fruity. Saltiness varies from feta to feta too. Add the ingredients a little at a time and taste as you go.
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil, or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, preferably mild-flavored
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 8 cups lightly packed mixed salad greens, or arugula, any tough stems removed
- 2 cups sliced cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- To prepare vinaigrette: Place sunflower (or canola) oil, olive oil, feta, cider vinegar, red-wine vinegar, lemon juice, pepper and salt in a blender and puree until combined. Adjust seasoning with additional lemon juice, salt or pepper, if desired.
- To prepare salad: Toss greens (or arugula) in a large bowl with half the vinaigrette. Mound on a large platter. Arrange cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes and onion on top of the greens. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the salad.
Per serving: 165 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 189 mg sodium; 420 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009