Citrusy Couscous Salad with Olives
Try this refreshing grain salad as an accompaniment to grilled chicken or fish. Chilled, it's also great for picnics. Look for whole-wheat couscous in the natural-foods section of supermarkets or in specialty stores.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat couscous
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives, (4 scallions)
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives, (12 olives)
- 1 navel orange, peeled, sectioned and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Stir together couscous, orange juice concentrate, oil, mustard, thyme, orange zest and salt in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water, cover and set aside until the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork. Add parsley, scallions, olives, diced orange and lemon juice; toss to blend. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 206 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 358 mg sodium; 205 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (78% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less