Citrusy Couscous Salad with Olives
Try this refreshing grain salad as an accompaniment to grilled chicken or fish. Chilled, it's also great for picnics. Look for whole-wheat couscous in the natural-foods section of supermarkets or in specialty stores.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat couscous
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives, (4 scallions)
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives, (12 olives)
- 1 navel orange, peeled, sectioned and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Stir together couscous, orange juice concentrate, oil, mustard, thyme, orange zest and salt in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water, cover and set aside until the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork. Add parsley, scallions, olives, diced orange and lemon juice; toss to blend. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 206 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 358 mg sodium; 205 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (78% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less