Citrusy Couscous Salad with Olives
Try this refreshing grain salad as an accompaniment to grilled chicken or fish. Chilled, it's also great for picnics. Look for whole-wheat couscous in the natural-foods section of supermarkets or in specialty stores.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat couscous
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives, (4 scallions)
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives, (12 olives)
- 1 navel orange, peeled, sectioned and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Stir together couscous, orange juice concentrate, oil, mustard, thyme, orange zest and salt in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water, cover and set aside until the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork. Add parsley, scallions, olives, diced orange and lemon juice; toss to blend. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 206 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 358 mg sodium; 205 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (78% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less