Citrus-Scented Black Bean Soup with Chipotle Cream
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Fresh orange and lime juices provide a citrus tang that balances the earthy, rich black beans and the light spice of smoky chipotle (actually dried and smoked jalapenos). To serve alongside, doctor up your favorite cornbread recipe with added corn kernels and Cheddar cheese baked in.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, divided
- Pinch of ground chipotle chile, (see Note)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans, water, orange zest and juice, salt and pepper; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Transfer to a blender with cilantro, lime juice and 3 tablespoons sour cream. Puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids; see Tip.)
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon sour cream and ground chipotle in a small bowl. Serve the soup garnished with the chipotle cream and scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.
- Tip: Hot liquids can splatter out of a blender when it's turned on. To avoid this, remove the center piece of the lid. Loosely cover the hole with a folded kitchen towel and turn the blender on. Better airflow will keep the contents from spewing all over the kitchen—and yourself.
Per serving: 333 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 10 g fiber; 454 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 212
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two