Citrus Salad with Olives & Radicchio
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This tangy winter salad recipe combines oranges and grapefruit with flavorful bitter greens. Green olives and a sprinkling of Manchego or feta cheese top off this delicious salad.
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 oranges
- 2 pink or red grapefruit
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups packed torn escarole leaves
- 4 cups torn radicchio
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup shredded Manchego or crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup pitted green olives, quartered
- Combine onion, vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving 6 tablespoons of the cooking liquid in a large bowl. (Discard the rest.) Set the onion and liquid aside separately to cool.
- Meanwhile, slice off an end of each orange and grapefruit so they stand upright. In careful sculpting slices, cut off the remaining peel and white pith. Slice the fruit into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Remove any seeds. Set the rounds aside.
- To make the dressing, add garlic and salt to the reserved onion-cooking liquid. Whisk in oil until well combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing in a small bowl.
- Add escarole, radicchio and parsley to the dressing in the large bowl; toss well to coat. Arrange the greens on a large serving platter. Top with the citrus rounds, the reserved onion, cheese and olives. Drizzle the reserved dressing over the top.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate onions (Step 1) and dressing (Step 3) in separate containers for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 153 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 278 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (67% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Folate (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2012