Citrus Salad with Olives & Radicchio
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This tangy winter salad recipe combines oranges and grapefruit with flavorful bitter greens. Green olives and a sprinkling of Manchego or feta cheese top off this delicious salad.
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 oranges
- 2 pink or red grapefruit
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups packed torn escarole leaves
- 4 cups torn radicchio
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup shredded Manchego or crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup pitted green olives, quartered
- Combine onion, vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving 6 tablespoons of the cooking liquid in a large bowl. (Discard the rest.) Set the onion and liquid aside separately to cool.
- Meanwhile, slice off an end of each orange and grapefruit so they stand upright. In careful sculpting slices, cut off the remaining peel and white pith. Slice the fruit into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Remove any seeds. Set the rounds aside.
- To make the dressing, add garlic and salt to the reserved onion-cooking liquid. Whisk in oil until well combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing in a small bowl.
- Add escarole, radicchio and parsley to the dressing in the large bowl; toss well to coat. Arrange the greens on a large serving platter. Top with the citrus rounds, the reserved onion, cheese and olives. Drizzle the reserved dressing over the top.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate onions (Step 1) and dressing (Step 3) in separate containers for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 153 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 278 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (67% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Folate (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2012