Citrus Salad with Olives & Radicchio
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This tangy winter salad recipe combines oranges and grapefruit with flavorful bitter greens. Green olives and a sprinkling of Manchego or feta cheese top off this delicious salad.
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 oranges
- 2 pink or red grapefruit
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups packed torn escarole leaves
- 4 cups torn radicchio
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup shredded Manchego or crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup pitted green olives, quartered
- Combine onion, vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving 6 tablespoons of the cooking liquid in a large bowl. (Discard the rest.) Set the onion and liquid aside separately to cool.
- Meanwhile, slice off an end of each orange and grapefruit so they stand upright. In careful sculpting slices, cut off the remaining peel and white pith. Slice the fruit into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Remove any seeds. Set the rounds aside.
- To make the dressing, add garlic and salt to the reserved onion-cooking liquid. Whisk in oil until well combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing in a small bowl.
- Add escarole, radicchio and parsley to the dressing in the large bowl; toss well to coat. Arrange the greens on a large serving platter. Top with the citrus rounds, the reserved onion, cheese and olives. Drizzle the reserved dressing over the top.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate onions (Step 1) and dressing (Step 3) in separate containers for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 153 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 278 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (67% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Folate (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2012