Citrus Salad with Olives & Radicchio
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This tangy winter salad recipe combines oranges and grapefruit with flavorful bitter greens. Green olives and a sprinkling of Manchego or feta cheese top off this delicious salad.
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 oranges
- 2 pink or red grapefruit
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups packed torn escarole leaves
- 4 cups torn radicchio
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup shredded Manchego or crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup pitted green olives, quartered
- Combine onion, vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving 6 tablespoons of the cooking liquid in a large bowl. (Discard the rest.) Set the onion and liquid aside separately to cool.
- Meanwhile, slice off an end of each orange and grapefruit so they stand upright. In careful sculpting slices, cut off the remaining peel and white pith. Slice the fruit into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Remove any seeds. Set the rounds aside.
- To make the dressing, add garlic and salt to the reserved onion-cooking liquid. Whisk in oil until well combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing in a small bowl.
- Add escarole, radicchio and parsley to the dressing in the large bowl; toss well to coat. Arrange the greens on a large serving platter. Top with the citrus rounds, the reserved onion, cheese and olives. Drizzle the reserved dressing over the top.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate onions (Step 1) and dressing (Step 3) in separate containers for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 153 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 278 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (67% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Folate (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2012