Citrus Salad with Olives & Radicchio
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This tangy winter salad recipe combines oranges and grapefruit with flavorful bitter greens. Green olives and a sprinkling of Manchego or feta cheese top off this delicious salad.
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 oranges
- 2 pink or red grapefruit
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups packed torn escarole leaves
- 4 cups torn radicchio
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup shredded Manchego or crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup pitted green olives, quartered
- Combine onion, vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving 6 tablespoons of the cooking liquid in a large bowl. (Discard the rest.) Set the onion and liquid aside separately to cool.
- Meanwhile, slice off an end of each orange and grapefruit so they stand upright. In careful sculpting slices, cut off the remaining peel and white pith. Slice the fruit into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Remove any seeds. Set the rounds aside.
- To make the dressing, add garlic and salt to the reserved onion-cooking liquid. Whisk in oil until well combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing in a small bowl.
- Add escarole, radicchio and parsley to the dressing in the large bowl; toss well to coat. Arrange the greens on a large serving platter. Top with the citrus rounds, the reserved onion, cheese and olives. Drizzle the reserved dressing over the top.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate onions (Step 1) and dressing (Step 3) in separate containers for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 153 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 278 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (67% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Folate (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2012