Cinnamon Bread Pudding with Cranberry-Raisin Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Pungent and aromatic cinnamon perfumes this bread pudding and sweet-tart sauce. The sauce, made with cranberries and golden raisins, gets a toasty flavor from mustard seeds and a touch of heat from chile peppers.
- 8 slices slightly dry whole-grain bread, crusts trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black, brown or yellow mustard seeds
- 2-3 dried red Thai or cayenne chiles, such as chile de arbol, stemmed
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen (no need to thaw), sliced in half
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- To prepare pudding: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine bread, 1/2 cup brown sugar, raisins, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, milk, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl. Allow the bread cubes to swell a bit and absorb the liquid, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the bread mixture to the prepared baking dish. Place the dish in a larger baking pan filled halfway with hot tap water. Place together in the oven. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Remove the baking dish from the water bath and let stand for about 15 minutes.
- To prepare sauce: Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds, cover, and cook until the seeds stop popping (not unlike popcorn), 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in chiles to taste and cook until blackened and smoky, about 30 seconds.
- Add cranberries and raisins. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the raisins are plump, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and cook, stirring, so the sugar melts, about 30 seconds. Pour in water and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce turns syrupy-thick, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the chiles.
- Slice the pudding into 8 pieces and spoon some sauce over each. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Steps 4-5) for up to 1 day. Reheat before serving; thin with a little water, if desired.
Per serving: 278 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 20 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 163 mg sodium; 350 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (18% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 2010
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)