Chunky Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Try this quick, full-flavored sun-dried tomato pesto with roasted vegetables or as a sandwich spread.
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soft or reconstituted and chopped (see Tip)
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Process sun-dried tomatoes, water, oil, garlic, pine nuts, vinegar, oregano and salt in a food processor until a rough pesto forms. Stir in cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Tips: For this recipe, look for soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil). If you can only find tomatoes that are very dry (and hard), soak in boiling water for about 20 minutes, then drain and chop them before using.
- To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 61 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 165 mg sodium; 134 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- September/October 2010