Chunky Apple-Rhubarb Sauce with Dried Cranberries
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Sweet, savory and tart, this sauce is a natural complement to roasted pork or chicken.
- 1 large green apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled and diced
- 2 cups diced rhubarb, (2-3 stalks)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/4-inch-thick slice ginger, peeled
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- Combine apple, rhubarb, onion, apple juice, cranberries, honey and ginger in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is soft and the apple is tender but not mushy, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Remove the ginger; serve the sauce warm, at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, microwave on High for about 2 minutes or warm in a saucepan over low heat.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 76 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 273 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- April/May 2005