Chunky Apple-Rhubarb Sauce with Dried Cranberries
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
Sweet, savory and tart, this sauce is a natural complement to roasted pork or chicken.
- 1 large green apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled and diced
- 2 cups diced rhubarb, (2-3 stalks)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/4-inch-thick slice ginger, peeled
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- Combine apple, rhubarb, onion, apple juice, cranberries, honey and ginger in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is soft and the apple is tender but not mushy, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Remove the ginger; serve the sauce warm, at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, microwave on High for about 2 minutes or warm in a saucepan over low heat.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 76 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 273 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005