Chopped Salad al Tonno
Why have the same mayonnaise-laden tuna when you can make a light, fresh salad that won't hold you back while you chase the kids around the yard?
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups chopped hearts of romaine
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna, drained (see Note)
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add romaine, tomatoes and olives; toss to coat. Add tuna and toss again.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 258 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 428 mg sodium; 406 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (110% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique