Chopped Greek Salad with Chicken
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Chicken turns this Greek-inspired salad into a substantial main course. Feel free to substitute other chopped fresh vegetables, such as broccoli or bell peppers, for the tomatoes or cucumber. Use leftover chicken, store-roasted chicken or quickly poach a couple boneless, skinless chicken breasts while you prepare the rest of the salad. Serve with pita bread and hummus.
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken, (about 12 ounces; see Tip)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe black olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Whisk vinegar, oil, dill (or oregano), garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives and feta; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: If you don't have cooked chicken, poach 1 pound chicken breasts for this recipe. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes.
Per serving: 343 calories; 18 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 89 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 619 mg sodium; 659 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2009