Chopped Chef’s Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
We gave a classic chef’s salad recipe a healthy makeover with our own homemade healthy Thousand Island dressing recipe and reduced-sodium cheese and turkey. Those swaps slashed 260 calories and nearly a day’s worth of sodium (2,131 mg!) per serving compared with traditional recipes.
- 6 cups chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 ounces sliced low-sodium Swiss or provolone cheese, chopped
- 4 ounces sliced reduced-sodium deli turkey, chopped
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toss lettuce, chickpeas, eggs, cheese, turkey and carrot in a large bowl.
- Combine mayonnaise, ketchup, relish and vinegar in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad; gently toss to combine. Top with a generous grinding of pepper.
Per serving: 391 calories; 17 g fat (7 g sat, 5 g mono); 228 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 6 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 663 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (232% daily value), Calcium (38% dv), Folate (33% dv), Zinc (21% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron & Magnesium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2013