Chopped Chef’s Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
We gave a classic chef’s salad recipe a healthy makeover with our own homemade healthy Thousand Island dressing recipe and reduced-sodium cheese and turkey. Those swaps slashed 260 calories and nearly a day’s worth of sodium (2,131 mg!) per serving compared with traditional recipes.
- 6 cups chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 ounces sliced low-sodium Swiss or provolone cheese, chopped
- 4 ounces sliced reduced-sodium deli turkey, chopped
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toss lettuce, chickpeas, eggs, cheese, turkey and carrot in a large bowl.
- Combine mayonnaise, ketchup, relish and vinegar in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad; gently toss to combine. Top with a generous grinding of pepper.
Per serving: 391 calories; 17 g fat (7 g sat, 5 g mono); 228 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 6 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 663 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (232% daily value), Calcium (38% dv), Folate (33% dv), Zinc (21% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron & Magnesium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013