Chopped Chef’s Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
We gave a classic chef’s salad recipe a healthy makeover with our own homemade healthy Thousand Island dressing recipe and reduced-sodium cheese and turkey. Those swaps slashed 260 calories and nearly a day’s worth of sodium (2,131 mg!) per serving compared with traditional recipes.
- 6 cups chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 ounces sliced low-sodium Swiss or provolone cheese, chopped
- 4 ounces sliced reduced-sodium deli turkey, chopped
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toss lettuce, chickpeas, eggs, cheese, turkey and carrot in a large bowl.
- Combine mayonnaise, ketchup, relish and vinegar in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad; gently toss to combine. Top with a generous grinding of pepper.
Per serving: 391 calories; 17 g fat (7 g sat, 5 g mono); 228 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 6 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 663 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (232% daily value), Calcium (38% dv), Folate (33% dv), Zinc (21% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron & Magnesium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013