Chopped Chef’s Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
We gave a classic chef’s salad recipe a healthy makeover with our own homemade healthy Thousand Island dressing recipe and reduced-sodium cheese and turkey. Those swaps slashed 260 calories and nearly a day’s worth of sodium (2,131 mg!) per serving compared with traditional recipes.
- 6 cups chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 ounces sliced low-sodium Swiss or provolone cheese, chopped
- 4 ounces sliced reduced-sodium deli turkey, chopped
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toss lettuce, chickpeas, eggs, cheese, turkey and carrot in a large bowl.
- Combine mayonnaise, ketchup, relish and vinegar in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad; gently toss to combine. Top with a generous grinding of pepper.
Per serving: 391 calories; 17 g fat (7 g sat, 5 g mono); 228 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 6 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 663 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (232% daily value), Calcium (38% dv), Folate (33% dv), Zinc (21% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron & Magnesium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013