Chopped Chef’s Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
We gave a classic chef’s salad recipe a healthy makeover with our own homemade healthy Thousand Island dressing recipe and reduced-sodium cheese and turkey. Those swaps slashed 260 calories and nearly a day’s worth of sodium (2,131 mg!) per serving compared with traditional recipes.
- 6 cups chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 ounces sliced low-sodium Swiss or provolone cheese, chopped
- 4 ounces sliced reduced-sodium deli turkey, chopped
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toss lettuce, chickpeas, eggs, cheese, turkey and carrot in a large bowl.
- Combine mayonnaise, ketchup, relish and vinegar in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad; gently toss to combine. Top with a generous grinding of pepper.
Per serving: 391 calories; 17 g fat (7 g sat, 5 g mono); 228 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 6 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 663 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (232% daily value), Calcium (38% dv), Folate (33% dv), Zinc (21% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron & Magnesium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013