Chocolate Zucchini Bread
In this recipe remake, we replaced much of the oil with fruit-based fat replacement, reduced the amount of unsweetened chocolate but added cocoa powder and used half as many nuts but toasted them for maximum flavor. The result retained the original's tender crumb and rich, chocolaty flavor with only one-third the fat.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, (1 3/4 ounces)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, preferably Dutch-process
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup fruit-based fat replacement, such as Lighter Bake, or unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 cups grated zucchini, (1 medium)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat two 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Spread walnuts in a pie pan and bake until fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, fruit-based fat replacement (or applesauce), oil, vanilla and melted chocolate in another large bowl until blended. Add to the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in zucchini and the reserved walnuts. Spoon the batter into the prepared pans, smoothing the tops.
- Bake the loaves 55 to 60 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto rack and cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store well wrapped at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Per slice: 239 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 143 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Original Zucchini Bread 365 calories, 23 g fat EW Zucchini Bread 239 calories, 8 g fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation