From EatingWell: March 1998
Rich, chocolate waffles are the perfect breakfast for that special someone's birthday.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg yolk, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil, vanilla and coffee granules in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until glossy but not dry. Whisk one-quarter of the beaten whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in the batter and cook until the waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary. Dust the waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate leftover waffles for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat in the toaster.
Per serving: 216 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 386 mg sodium; 294 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998