From EatingWell: March 1998
Rich, chocolate waffles are the perfect breakfast for that special someone's birthday.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg yolk, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil, vanilla and coffee granules in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until glossy but not dry. Whisk one-quarter of the beaten whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in the batter and cook until the waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary. Dust the waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate leftover waffles for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat in the toaster.
Per serving: 216 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 386 mg sodium; 294 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March 1998