From EatingWell: March 1998
Rich, chocolate waffles are the perfect breakfast for that special someone's birthday.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg yolk, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil, vanilla and coffee granules in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until glossy but not dry. Whisk one-quarter of the beaten whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in the batter and cook until the waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary. Dust the waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate leftover waffles for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat in the toaster.
Per serving: 216 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 386 mg sodium; 294 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- March 1998