From EatingWell: March 1998
Rich, chocolate waffles are the perfect breakfast for that special someone's birthday.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg yolk, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil, vanilla and coffee granules in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until glossy but not dry. Whisk one-quarter of the beaten whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in the batter and cook until the waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary. Dust the waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate leftover waffles for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat in the toaster.
Per serving: 216 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 386 mg sodium; 294 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- March 1998