From EatingWell: March 1998
Rich, chocolate waffles are the perfect breakfast for that special someone's birthday.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg yolk, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil, vanilla and coffee granules in a medium bowl. Whisk into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until glossy but not dry. Whisk one-quarter of the beaten whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon in the batter and cook until the waffle is crisp and golden. Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, lightly coating iron with nonstick spray each time, if necessary. Dust the waffles with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate leftover waffles for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat in the toaster.
Per serving: 216 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 386 mg sodium; 294 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998