Chocolate Velvet Pudding
Although instant mixes and premade chocolate puddings abound in every supermarket, they just can't compare with homemade. This reduced-fat version is almost as quick as a mix and delivers a rich chocolate flavor.
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 ounce bittersweet or semisweet (not unsweetened) chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whisk egg, condensed milk, cocoa, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; add chocolate and vanilla, whisking until the chocolate melts. Transfer to a bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Serve warm or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Per serving: 196 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 183 mg sodium; 348 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Valentine's Day
- Ease of Preparation